Prime Andrew Holness responds to a question during the leadership election debate on Thursday, August 28, 2025.
Prime Minister Andrew Holness has denied that he has 28 bank accounts as being peddled by operatives of the People’s National Party (PNP) following the tabling of an investigation report by the Integrity Commission into his finances.
Holness was rebutting a point made by Opposition Leader Mark Golding surrounding the controversial salary increases to members of the political directorate under the compensation review.
The prime minister used his rebuttal to declare that he never took his salary increase, but Golding took his as Opposition leader.
“The leader of Opposition says, ‘I have 28 bank accounts’. That is absolutely not true!” Holness declared.
“The report of the Integrity Commission includes accounts that are closed, accounts that are dormant, insurance accounts, and investment accounts. They have weaponised it [the accounts],” Holness said as his time ended on that point.
In responding to a question from veteran journalist Dionne Jackson-Miller that was not related to his financial affairs and the Integrity Commission, Holness used some of the time to return to the matter.
“In my own Integrity Commission report published in Parliament, there were no findings of corruption. All my assets are in Jamaica, and I have declared everything to the Integrity Commission,” Holness said.
“The leader of the Opposition, however, also had a report from the Contractor General previously, which [allegedly] found that they benefited from public resources in an irregular way; they termed it a sweetheart deal. In my [Integrity Commission investigation report], there is no such thing. None of my resources are ever connected to any public funds or any public resources,” he added.
In response to Holness’ assertions, Golding denied the claims made regarding his (Golding’s) finances.
“My [statutory] declarations have been certified every year as being proper. Yours (Holness) have not…,” Golding said before being cut off.
In a later clarification, Holness once again returned to the matter of his finances, arguing that the Integrity Commission’s investigation were closed.
“I am not currently under any investigation… I, Andrew Holness, am thoroughly, transparent,” Holness insisted.